Scam Shield™ FAQs
How do I get Scam ID?
Scam ID is free and automatic for all Metro by T-Mobile customers; no action required.
How do I block a scam call on Metro?
There are a number of ways to turn on Scam Block:
- Download the free Scam Shield app and toggle on Scam Block
- Dial #662# from your Metro by T-Mobile device
- Log in to your account, then select My Account>Add Services>Protection>Scam Block
- In the MyMetro App, select Shop>Add Services>Confirm your PIN>Scam Block>Modify Services
- Dial 611 from your Metro device to speak to Care
What about scam/spam texts? Does T-Mobile block those?
We’ve had an anti-spam solution for mobile messaging including SMS, MMS, and RCS since 2014, and we include it at no additional charge for Metro customers. How it works:
- Our anti-spam message solution is updated regularly with spam message fingerprints and signatures. Whenever a mobile message is received on the network, it's checked against the anti-spam solution. If a message is determined to be spam or unwanted, we'll block it. Otherwise, the message will be delivered.
- Customers can report spam or unwanted messages by simply forwarding the messages to 7726. We'll reply with a confirmation text and forward the message to the Security Center for analysis. The message and your details are encrypted; your identity won't be shared.
- Replying “STOP” is usually a convenient way to quickly opt out of a message program. However, for unwanted spam texts, we recommend forwarding messages to 7726 and not replying. Similar to picking up an unknown robocall, spammers will use any texted reply (including “STOP”) as confirmation that they've reached a real person.
How do I get free Caller ID?
The free Caller ID can be activated one of the following ways:
- Download the Scam Shield app
- Add through one of our self-serve options: MyMetro app or online through MyAccount
- Visit a Retail store
- Call Care by dialing 611 from your Metro phone
How do I edit how my name shows up on Caller ID?
Log in to MyAccount , and select >Profile>Edit Caller ID, and edit how your own Caller ID displays when you make calls, then enter your legal name, or a commonly accepted variation. Profanity is not allowed. Changes will display within 72 hours. If your name change isn't working, please dial 611 from your phone and we’ll connect you to Care.
If your name change isn't working, please dial 611 from your phone and we’ll connect you to Care.
What is Scam Shield Premium?
Scam Shield Premium delivers advanced call controls beyond the free services included with Scam Shield, to help combat unwanted robocalls and manage nuisance calls, all for just $2/month. Features include:
How do I get Scam Shield Premium services?
You can activate Scam Shield Premium within the Scam Shield app, in MyAccount, the My Metro app, by visiting a retail store, or by calling Care.
Do I have to get Scam Shield Premium in order to get Caller ID?
No, Caller ID is an independent feature and does not require you having Scam Shield Premium.
How do I opt-out of Caller ID?
To remove the feature, simply go to the Scam Shield app from your Metro phone and in the “Settings” select toggle “off” for the Caller ID feature.
What is Number Verified?
Number Verified is T-Mobile's implementation of the new STIR/SHAKEN industry standards. T-Mobile was the first to implement STIR/SHAKEN for customers in January 2019. T-Mobile customers with an eligible device will see "Number Verified" on their screen when the calling number has been verified as authentic by the network. This means you can be assured that the phone number calling you is legitimate and hasn't been spoofed.
How do I get Number Verified?
Number Verified is available for free to every T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customer. It works automatically on devices that have received the necessary software updates from their manufacturer.
How is Number Verified different than Caller ID?
Number Verified authenticates incoming calls and verifies that the number displayed is the actual number that is calling and has not been spoofed by a scammer. Caller ID provides a name and phone number for incoming calls, even if they are not in your contact list.
Does Number Verified stop scam or robocalls?
No. Number Verified does not block calls. Number Verified authenticates incoming calls and verifies that the number displayed is the actual number that is calling has not been spoofed by a scammer. To block Scam Likely calls you can use Scam Shield and turn on the free Scam Block.
What networks does Number Verified work with?
T-Mobile is first in the wireless industry to implement STIR/SHAKEN across all major wireless network providers. T-Mobile customers can rest assured that when a call comes in from any of the major carriers or any of several other smaller network providers to T-Mobile’s network (or vice versa), the companies will be to able authenticate that the call is coming from the phone number displayed in Caller ID and has not been spoofed.
T-Mobile currently provides STIR/SHAKEN implementations with AT&T, Comcast, Spectrum Voice from Charter Communications, UScellular, and Verizon Wireless as well as Altice USA, Bandwidth, Brightlink, Clear Rate, Google Fi, Inteliquent, Intrado, Magicjack, Peerless, and Twilio.
When will you have STIR/SHAKEN working with everyone … and on every phone?
In order for STIR/SHAKEN to work across the industry, it takes a modern network and work by each partner to integrate our systems. At T-Mobile, we’re leading the industry with the most cross-network STIR/SHAKEN partnerships. We’re ready to work with any network that is ready to work with us. We’re just waiting on them…