MetroPCS Responds to Hurricane Harvey
To further assist Texas and Louisiana customers affected by Hurricane Harvey, MetroPCS is offering unlimited data to those who are not already on an unlimited data plan.
MetroPCS customers can enjoy unlimited data from Aug. 28-Sept. 15 to get updates on storm activity and stay in touch with family/friends on social media.
To help our customers connect with loved ones in the path of Hurricane Harvey, MetroPCS is also making it free for customers to call or text from impacted areas of Texas and Louisiana.
From Aug. 25-Sept. 15, MetroPCS customers in the following area codes can call anywhere in the US for free:
- Texas: 830, 512, 210, 936, 956, 361,979, 281,832,713, 409, 346
- Louisiana: 337, 985
MetroPCS Prepares for 2017 Hurricane Season
To increase your chances of staying connected with loved ones before, during and after a storm or disaster, all consumers can take these important steps:
- Make sure your phone is fully charged before the storm and you have a plan to recharge it (like a car charger or portable charger) in case of a power outage. You can find several options at MetroPCS retail stores and online.
- Conserve phone battery life during power outages by using the power save mode in your phone’s settings. You should also reduce screen brightness and limit downloads, audio and video streaming, and non-critical apps.
- Send a text instead of calling. Text messages are more likely to get through a wireless network during high-usage periods since they take up fewer network resources.
- If you need to make a call, keep it short so others can also get through. The number of calls typically spikes during severe weather events, so keep the lines free for emergency workers and your neighbors.
- Keep your phone dry by storing it in a plastic bag or other waterproof covering.
- Use Wi-Fi calling if cellular service is not available. Wi-Fi calling allows MetroPCS customers with capable devices to text and make and receive voice calls via any Wi-Fi connection. For Apple phones, go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling and for Android phones, go to Settings > More Connection Settings > Wi-Fi Calling. We recommend setting this up ahead of the storm.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting this year’s season will be above normal again with a 70 percent chance of 11 to 17 named storms, including 5 to 9 hurricanes that could produce 2 to 4 major hurricanes, which are defined as Category 3, 4 or 5 storms. According to NOAA, in an average season there are 12 named storms, including six hurricanes, three of which could become major hurricanes.
Customers can stay up to date with the latest storm forecasts from NOAA’s National Weather Service at weather.gov and the National Hurricane Center at hurricanes.gov. For MetroPCS Customer Care, visit www.my.MetroPCS.com or call 611 from your MetroPCS handset.