Scam Shield™ FAQs
How do I get Scam ID?
Scam ID is free and automatic for all Metro by T-Mobile customers; no action required.
How do I block a scam call on Metro?
There are a number of ways to turn on Scam Block:
- Download the free Scam Shield app and toggle on Scam Block
- Dial #662# from your Metro by T-Mobile device
- Log in to your account, then select My Account>Add Services>Protection>Scam Block
- In the MyMetro App, select Shop>Add Services>Confirm your PIN>Scam Block>Modify Services
- Dial 611 from your Metro device to speak to Care
What about scam/spam texts? Does T-Mobile block those?
We’ve had an anti-spam solution for mobile messaging including SMS, MMS, and RCS since 2014, and we include it at no additional charge for Metro customers. How it works:
- Our anti-spam message solution is updated regularly with spam message fingerprints and signatures. Whenever a mobile message is received on the network, it's checked against the anti-spam solution. If a message is determined to be spam or unwanted, we'll block it. Otherwise, the message will be delivered.
- Customers can report spam or unwanted messages by simply forwarding the messages to 7726. We'll reply with a confirmation text and forward the message to the Security Center for analysis. The message and your details are encrypted; your identity won't be shared.
- Replying “STOP” is usually a convenient way to quickly opt out of a message program. However, for unwanted spam texts, we recommend forwarding messages to 7726 and not replying. Similar to picking up an unknown robocall, spammers will use any texted reply (including “STOP”) as confirmation that they've reached a real person.
How do I get free Caller ID?
All Metro customers on voice plans are eligible for free Caller ID. You can download the new Scam Shield app to get started.
- Eligible Metro customers can also opt in via MyAccount, by visiting a retail store, or by dialing 611 from their Metro phone to speak to Care.
How do I edit how my name shows up on Caller ID?
Log in to MyAccount , and select >Profile>Edit Caller ID, and edit how your own Caller ID displays when you make calls, then enter your legal name, or a commonly accepted variation. Profanity is not allowed. Changes will display within 72 hours. If your name change isn't working, please dial 611 from your phone and we’ll connect you to Care.
If your name change isn't working, please dial 611 from your phone and we’ll connect you to Care.
What is the Be ID-aware with McAfee for T-Mobile offer? What does it do?
Customers can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with McAfee identity theft protection with a 12-month subscription on us, which includes:
- Cyber monitoring: continuously scans online underground markets—including the Dark Web—and alerts you when your personal info is at risk
- Full-service ID restoration: recover your identity with specialists who can guide you and act on your behalf to navigate the process
- Lost Wallet: offers step-by-step guidance from dedicated agents to help cancel and replace nearly anything, from credit cards and IDs to concert tickets
Note: Available in English language only, in the U.S. only, and a valid email address is required to enroll.
Who is eligible for the Be ID-aware with McAfee for T-Mobile offer?
New and existing Metro customers are eligible to receive a free 12-month subscription when they sign up between 7/24 and 8/31/20.
How do I get my free 12-month subscription to the Be ID-aware with McAfee for T-Mobile offer?
Eligible Metro customers can request it online. Enter your valid email, phone number, and the code 2020MCAFEE. After we confirm your eligibility, you will receive an email from McAfee within 3 or 4 days with a link to complete your profile.
What if I already have a McAfee account/app, can I still get this offer?
Yes: if you already have a McAfee account, you can still take advantage of this offer starting 7/24.
- The Be ID-aware with McAfee for T-Mobile offer is only available by signing up through our registration process, and will require a valid email address that is different from what you're currently using on your McAfee account. This offer is not available to be managed through the McAfee app, but can be managed through the McAfee web portal.
What is Scam Shield Premium?
Scam Shield Premium delivers advanced call controls beyond the free services included with Scam Shield, to help combat unwanted robocalls and manage nuisance calls, all for just $2/month. Features include:
- Sending entire categories of calls directly to voicemail, including telemarketers, political solicitations, and fundraising calls
- Reverse Number Lookup for unknown callers, and the option to create Always Block lists that live on the network—not just your contact list—so your preferences will stay, even if you delete the app or get a new device
- Voicemail-to-text, which sends you a transcription of a voicemail via an SMS message, email, or in the Visual Voicemail app
How do I get Scam Shield Premium services?
You can activate Scam Shield Premium within the Scam Shield app, in MyAccount, the My Metro app, by visiting a retail store, or by calling Care.
Can I try Scam Shield Premium before I buy it?
Yes: all Metro customers can try Scam Shield Premium free for 7 days.