T-Mobile Phone Unlock Policy
Unlocking your mobile wireless device
Most mobile devices are programmed to prevent the device from operating with other wireless carriers’ networks without first being unlocked. We're committed to providing you with clear information about unlocking your mobile device.
If you purchased your device from Metro by
Once a device becomes eligible for unlocking (eligibility requirements are described below), Metro by
Some devices cannot be remotely unlocked by Metro by
If you received a notification that your device is eligible to be unlocked, and you need instructions for completing the unlocking process, click here.
Unlock eligibility requirements
We unlock mobile devices that meet the following eligibility criteria free of charge:
- The device must be purchased from Metro by
- The device must not be reported as lost, stolen or blocked.
- One hundred eighty (180) days must have passed since the device’s activation date.
About deploying military personnel
Military personnel who are pending deployment do not have to meet the 180-day requirement described in the previous section. To unlock their Metro by
Instructions for unlocking your Metro by
If you received a notification that your device is eligible to be unlocked, please review these instructions for completing the unlocking process.
- Make sure you are connected to the Metro by
T-Mobilenetwork or Wi-Fi.
- Swipe up on your Home screen to open the Apps tray and follow the steps below:
- Newer Samsung Devices (2019 or newer): Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings > Select Network Unlock
- Other Android Devices: Use the Device Unlock app or Unlock app pre-installed on your device and follow instructions on-screen. If you do not have this app, your device is unlocked or it is on a 2019 or newer OS.
- Select Permanent Unlock
- If you receive an error, please see the table below with troubleshooting steps.
- Wait while the device completes the unlock.
- If you receive an error, see the troubleshooting section below.
- Restart the device.
- Contact us at 888-863-8768 if:
- You do not see the apps or settings listed for your device. You may need a PIN code for unlock, which Metro’s Care team can provide.
- You meet the eligibility requirements but cannot unlock your device.
- You have a device not listed above.
If you have an Apple device, once it becomes eligible, Metro by
- Verify that your device is eligible to be unlocked.
- Make sure your device is on WiFi.
- Insert a non-
T-MobileSIM card into your Apple device and complete the first-time use.
- If the device has already been set up, follow the on-screen instructions to sign into your Apple ID.
- If you don't get the setup prompt or if no SIM is available:
- Back up your iPhone.
- After you make a backup, erase your iPhone.
- Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.
- What does my phone being ‘unlocked’ mean?
A device unlock enables your Metro by
T-Mobiledevice to use a non-Metro by T-MobileSIM card to connect to a different international or domestic network. This may also be known as a SIM unlock, network unlock, or carrier unlock.
- When can I unlock my phone?
Your phone can be unlocked when you are eligible for unlock. Please see Metro by
T-Mobile’s policy for more details.
- What happens if I don’t unlock my device?
Nothing! Your phone will continue to work just as it does today.
- Why do I have to wait 180 consecutive days?
As a pay in advance service provider, this helps us reduce fraud and misuse of service. This is in line with industry standards for pay in advance services.
- When does the service requirement (180 consecutive days) start?
The service requirement begins from your phone’s activation date. The first day your phone is active with Metro by
T-Mobilecounts as day 1. Please note that your phone’s activation date is different from your account’s activation date.
Note: For phones under warranty exchange, the activation date is the date you originally purchased the phone, not the activation date of your warranty exchange handset.
- Is there a fee for requesting a device unlock?
No. We unlock mobile devices that meet eligibility criteria free of charge.
- What do I do if I received an error using the Device Unlock app?
If you receive an error using the Device Unlock app, review the following table for troubleshooting:
|Device not recognized by your service provider. Please call customer care.||Rooting your device will disable the unlock application.
Download the latest Metro by
|Data corrupted during transfer. Please try again. Error during data transfer. Please try again.||Ensure the device has stable mobile signal or connect to WiFi.
Restart the device and try again.
|Server not responding. Please try again later.||No response is received from the server.
Try using an alternate internet connection.
|Failure in processing the request. Please reboot device and try again.||Ensure that your device has sufficient memory.
Restart the device and try again.
|No internet connection available. Please try again when internet connection is available.||No internet connection is available:
Device is not connected to 3G/4G LTE/5G.
Please use WiFi or connect to cellular network.
Unable to connect to the server at this time. Please try back again later.
Unlock Failed: This mobile wireless device is not eligible for unlock. For Device Unlock eligibility details, please go online or contact Customer Care.
No response is received from the server.
The device is not eligible for unlock.
|Unlock Failed : System maintenance error, try again later.||System Maintenance is currently underway wait and try again later.|
|Failure in applying the unlock settings. Please try again.||The device must be connected to the mobile network (including domestic and international roaming).
December 9, 2020